First, let me just say, holy shit these are goooooood! Pardon my language, but the expletive was warranted. I've been craving pie lately because fall, duh, but I needed something that was paleo and that wasn't a totally pain in the ass to make (paleo pie crusts and all pie crusts = pain in the ass). So I decided on mini single-serve pies with a crumb topping because crumb toppings are magical. Also, bacon is magical, and this pie also has that. YES, THIS PIE HAS BACON. It adds just right touch of smokiness, and the saltiness actually enhances the sweetness of the apples. YOU'RE WELCOME! Anyway, enough blabbering, onto the recipe....
Mini Apple-Bacon Paleo Pies
4 medium to large apples, cored and sliced
2 slices bacon, chopped (preferably uncured and organic)
Sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
1 cup almond flour
½ cup chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp allspice
2 Tbsp grass-fed butter, chilled
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
1) Prepare filling: Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add sliced apples to skillet with bacon and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add spices and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
2) Prepare crumb topping: Add almond flour, pecans, and spices to a medium bowl and mix to combine. Add butter, “cutting” it into the dry ingredients with a fork until it’s well combined and mixture has a crumbly consistency. Add maple syrup and combine all ingredients, mashing them together with the fork and trying to maintain the mixture’s crumbly texture.
3) Divide filling among four custard cups and top each with about two heaping tablespoons of crumb topping. Place custard cups on a baking sheet.
4) Place mini pies in oven and broil on low until tops start to brown and crisp up, about 10 minutes. You may need to finish them up on high for about a minute.
5) Enjoy! These things are freakin amazing.
I'm on a baking kick. Stay tuned for more awesomness.
Peace, Love, & PIE,